Why is it a golfer rarely asks for a full 20 minute extensive warm up
routine prior to golf, but rather those two or three key stretches guaranteed
to yield the best results in the shortest period of time?
No matter how hard those in the golf fitness arena try and convince golfer’s
to stretch prior to a round of golf, our efforts are often fruitless. It’s
not that golfers don’t care; life just seems to get in the way of
our best laid intentions. So, instead of arriving 30 minutes early as planned,
most golfers come scurrying around the corner and plop into their carts
in an effort to get away with the bare minimum prior to tee-off.
So, based on popular demand, here are those 3 key stretches. While it
will always be in your best interest to plan and prepare, both mentally
and physically, prior to your round of golf, the following stretches will
get your body ready in record time.
Stretch #1 Lunge with Rotation
Goal: This movement is designed to duplicate the trunk rotation involved in
the swing while stretching the hip flexors.
• Place hands on opposite ends of a golf club and place behind the
top of shoulders
• Begin by taking a nice long step forward, then lowering to a lunge
• Gently turn your torso towards your extended knee
• Hold each side for a count of two, then switch legs
Stretch #2 Rotator Cuff Stretch
Goal: This movement is designed to stretch the r
otator cuff muscles.
• Hold the club in the middle of the shaft with one arm extended
• Rotate the club to the right and then to the left
• When complete, switch to the other arm and repeat
Stretch #3 Trunk-Hip Rotation